in this article, we will discuss the four clairs. Clair is a French word that means “clear,” and the four clairs are the fundamental building blocks of all psychic powers.
The Four Clairs
Also known as Clear Seeing, clairvoyance is the seeing of psychic visions, either subjectively or objectively. When images appear in one’s mind, one is seeing subjectively. When one sees something in the environment, this is seeing objectively. With clairvoyance, one can connect with the spirit world through the visions they have in mind or see spirits that have taken on physical form.
Clairaudience is the “Clear Hearing” of the spirits. As with clairvoyance, this psychic ability involves hearing subjectively or objectively. With clairaudience, you may hear the voice of the spirits in your mind, or you may hear them as though you are having a telephone conversation with them.
Clairsentience, also known as Clear Sensing, is the ability to feel the energy of the spirit. The feeling of spirit energy can reveal vast information, including things like the deceased’s personality, health, and other personal information.
Claircognizance is also known as Clear Knowing. With this clair, one receives psychic information as insight without knowing its source.
What is Your Psychic Style?
We can utilize all four of the clairs, but most of us have a dominant clair. For example, some people’s primary clair is claircognizance. They may receive almost all of their psychic information as insights. Frequently, people will have a secondary clair that they use as well, but not as often as the primary one.
You can think of these abilities like learning modalities. Some students prefer to learn by listening to a lecture, while others prefer to see real-life examples. Still others prefer to actually do what is being taught and others learn best by participating in a discussion about the topic. In each case, the student takes in information using the method that works best for them. As with learning modalities, each of us has our own psychic ability that works best for us.
Exercise: Your Psychic Style
The following is an exercise that you can do to determine which of the four clairs is most dominant in you.
- Imagine yourself relaxing on a beach. You are sitting in your beach chair and basking in the warmth of the summer sun.
- As you sit in your beach chair, see the waves rolling into shore and feel the heat of the sun’s rays on your skin. Feel the chair under you and the sand between your toes.
- There are families on the beach who are enjoying their time there. Listen to the sounds of their children talking and laughing. Watch as they run and play.
- Try to imagine all of these things as vividly as you can.
After doing this exercise, consider the following:
- Were you able to easily visualize images of these things? Were you able to see the waves or the faces of the people around you? If you were, that indicates that you are strong in your clairvoyant abilities.
- Were you able to feel the sand under your feet or the warmth of the sun on your skin? If so, that would indicate that you have clairsentience abilities.
- Were you able to hear the laughing and talking of the children? If so, that demonstrates that you have strong clairaudience abilities.
- Some cannot see images, hear sounds, or feel what they imagine, but they know they are at the imaginary beach. This would be an example of claircognizance.
Another way to identify the kind of psychic abilities you have is through your use of language. The following are examples of this:
- Clairvoyance: “I see what you mean.”
- Clairaudience: “I hear what you’re saying.”
- Clairsentience: “I know what you are saying.”
- Claircognizance: “I know what you mean.”
For the next few days, pay attention to the words you use. When someone is explaining something to you, pay attention to how you respond to them. Notate in your journal what you say. After a few days, review your journal to see if you can find any patterns in the words that you use. This will help you find additional clues as to which of the clairs is your dominant one. When you find your dominant clair, you can further develop it by doing the upcoming exercises. But first let’s examine the four clairs in greater detail.
Develop you dominant Clair
The word clairvoyance is French and translates, as I said earlier, to “Clear Seeing.” However, clairvoyance has nothing to do with seeing through the eyes. Rather, it is the intuitive ability to perceive the energy fields around us. Clairvoyance is associated with the chakras of the body.
The word “chakra” is a Sanskrit word, which translates to “wheel.” Chakras are the spinning wheels of energy and light. You can imagine a chakra as a whirlpool. A whirlpool is just a configuration of the surrounding water. In the same way, chakras are the spinning wheels of the spirit. The whirlpool is to the water as the chakra is to the spirit.
Chakras make it possible for us to receive information from the spirit world just as the five senses receive information from the environment. The different chakras are found in various parts of the body. Clairvoyance is the information-gathering ability of the 6th chakra, which is located in the center of the forehead and is known as the third eye.
Have you ever experienced a vision that seemed so real to you that you could not stop thinking about it? Or perhaps you had a dream that really left an impression on you and later became reality. Both of these experiences are examples of clairvoyance. In clairvoyance, your intuition is communicating to you through inner visions or even visual perception.
Most clairvoyants access information using inner visions; however, those who can access information using their normal vision can see energy fields and spirits. We all have the potential to be clairvoyants, but to translate that potential into ability requires practice.
Those who are clairvoyant tend to be visually-oriented, experiencing their intuitive powers as images or visions. Here are some examples of what visually-oriented people do:
- When you set a goal, you may visualize its achievement in your mind.
- You frequently dream at night.
- You work in the visual arts, which includes writing or directing.
- You have a talent for remembering landmarks or other visual cues.
- You use phrases such as “I see what you mean” or “Looks good to me.”
- You may speak at a rapid rate.
- When you think, others might notice that your eyes move toward the upper left or upper right corners.
If you think you might be clairvoyant, you may want to start a dream journal to record your dreams each night. Then see if they materialize. If you see a pattern, you may be having precognitive dreams.
Those who are clairaudient experience the spiritual energy around them through hearing. This auditory guidance can manifest as a voice or even music that is beyond the perception of others. That inner voice that we hear, which is the voice of our intuition, is an example of clairaudience. Those with clairaudience have the potential ability to hear those who have passed on, spirit guides, or angels.
Here are some examples of clairaudience characteristics:
- You love listening to those who are close to you.
- You derive great enjoyment listening to the natural world as you attempt to understand it.
- You are an excellent listener and can give solid and concise advice.
- You can channel spirits through automatic writing.
Tip: Create a sacred space for yourself. When you feel overwhelmed by what you are hearing, go to that space. Announce to yourself that you will only allow those beings with loving intentions to enter your space.
Those with clairsentience experience the spiritual energy around them as feelings. Children are naturally clairsentients as they are tuned in with their feelings.
Here are some examples:
- You have a feeling that something is not right.
- You meet someone, and you instantly feel that they could be trouble and don’t trust them.
- You get the feeling someone is watching you.
- You walk into a house and immediately know whether or not it is haunted.
- You instantly know the mood of a room when you enter it.
- You hate clutter and need to keep your living area free of it.
- You take your relationships very seriously, and you tend to be very selective about with whom you enter into a relationship.
Because clairsentients are so in touch with the energy of others, they need to protect themselves from becoming over-stimulated. Clairsentients are extra sensitive individuals, and they can easily be overcome by the emotional energy of others. For this reason, they need to learn grounding techniques or psychic shielding.
Tip: Follow up with your intuition. For example, if you feel that a friend is having a bad day, call them to see if you can verify the accuracy of your feelings.
Those with claircognizance experience spiritual energy through knowing it. Claircognizants can find themselves in a new situation, with little information to go by, yet they know what to do. This knowing includes a sense of trust and certainty, even though there may be nothing to base it on. Claircognizance is what many experiences as a gut feeling.
Examples of claircognizance include:
- You meet someone for the first time, yet you feel like you have known them forever. You and the other person feel an instant connection with each other.
- You have a gut feeling about what you should do in a situation, even though there is no supporting information to back up that feeling.
- You can make quick decisions.
Claircognizance occurs within the domain of thought. In other words, communication with the spiritual world is experienced as thoughts. This is why many people do not realize they are psychic. Their experience of communicating with the spiritual world is easily mistaken for their own thoughts. It takes practice to discern between thoughts that you have and those being communicated by the spirit world. This is particularly true when it comes to the death of a loved one.
Someone unaware of their psychic powers may believe that their thoughts regarding certain situations are memories. They may believe that they are recalling how the deceased used to think before they passed on. They may not realize that these thoughts could be actual communications from the spirit of the deceased.
These various forms of psychic abilities are how we gather information about both the spirit world and the world of the living. While our mortal lives may be limited, our information flows continuously from lifetime to lifetime. As a child, your life contained information that informed your decision-making and how you perceived yourself and the world. As you got older, that information followed you and continued to shape who you are. Upon death, that information travels into the spirit world and eventually becomes incorporated into your next life.